If you're still trying to figure out the focus of your campaign [link to do you research article], letters can be a great way to ask for information. They also help you tell decision-makers and other influential people what you think.
Though email is a really popular form of communication, letters provide a powerful and more formal way to communicate.
Top tips for writing an effective letter:
- Type your letter if you can. If this is not possible, write it out properly.
- Include the full name, title and address of the recipient. Try to identify an individual to write to.
- Include the date, and full address details for a reply.
- Keep the content brief and focused. It is normally a good idea to stick to one issue per letter.
- Always be polite and respectful, and use the standard polite forms of address and signing off in your country, or the country of the recipient if different from your own.
- Ask someone to check your spelling and grammar.
- Keep a copy of all your letters.
In the next article you will find an example of a great letter for you to adapt for your own purposes.An example of a great letter